2021 Pickaway County 4-H Camp:
Welcome to the Wild West. Come on out and join us for lasso swinging, stick horse riding, hot days, and dusty nights. Camp activities we are planning include wild west games, beach fun, crafts, canoeing, games, volleyball, swimming, line-dancing, and campfire!
Full time participation and correct grade level is required.
Pickaway County 4-H Junior Camp - Jr camp is for members who have just completed 3rd through 5th grade. Participants will arrive on Wednesday July 7 at 9:00 am and dismiss on Thursday July 8 at 6:00 pm
Pickaway County 4-H Senior Camp - Sr camp is for members who have just completed 6th through 8th grade. Participants will arrive on Friday July 9 at 9:00 am and dismiss on Saturday July 10 at 6:00 pm
The camp is located at Tar Hollow Group Camp in Tar Hollow State Park.
To register: Complete the registration form & health statement and return it with your payment to the Extension Office by May 20 at 4:30 p.m.
Thanks to the Pickaway County Foundation & the Gary Family, Pickaway County offers 4-H camp scholarships for up to fifteen 4-H members. Any 4-H family that qualifies for or receives public assistance is eligible to apply.
Important Reminders - Email sent 6/30/2021
Dear 4-H Camper,
We hope you are ready for a fun couple of days in the Wild West! There are important updates to 4-H camp this year including a discrepancy we found in the drop off times. Please READ on so you are ready for a great camp experience!
The road into camp past the General Store is partially closed. Please come the back way into camp. It will not increase your drive time:
- From Adelphi take St Rt 327 for 3.9 miles then turn RIGHT onto Bull Creek Rd (no road sign but it’s at the top of the big hill where the road Y’s.
- Go just 0.2 miles and turn LEFT into Tar Hollow State Park (there is a 4-H camp sign at this turn)
- Follow 1.9 miles and turn LEFT when the road Y’s (there is a 4-H camp sign at this turn)
- Go 1.8 miles and turn RIGHT onto the drive into 4-H camp
Drop Off and Pick Up: Junior Camp is July 7-8. Senior Camp is July 9-10.
We are still under restrictions for some camp items. For the most part they only include social distancing at all times between cabins and teams. That means drop off and pick up will look different.
- Drop off – Last names A-N arrive at 8:30am Do not arrive before 8:15am! Last names O-Z arrive at 9:00am.
- Please remember we will not be serving breakfast on drop off day. Campers need to eat breakfast before they arrive at camp.
- If you have girls, park in front of the lodge and have ONE parent accompany camper to the tent for the health check and check-in. Bring any meds. Do not unload anything else until you are checked in. Remain socially distant!
- If you have boys, park behind the lodge and have ONE parent accompany camper through the back Nature Porch doors into the lodge for the health check and check-in. Bring any meds. Do not unload anything else until you are checked in. Remain socially distant!
- Return to your vehicle, get your stuff and have ONE parent assist camper taking items to the cabin.
- Arrive at cabin and meet your counselor. Say your farewells and parent heads back down the hill. Only the camper and counselor may enter the cabin.
- Parents are asked to immediately leave or remain in their car until the road is clear.
- Pick up – Last names A-N pick up at 6:00pm. Do not arrive before 6:00pm! Last names O-Z pick up at 6:30pm.
- If you have girls, park in front of the lodge and have ONE parent go to the tent for meds and check-out. Go to the bridge for your child and their luggage. Remain socially distant! Return to your car and depart.
- If you have boys, park behind the lodge and have ONE parent go through the back Nature Porch doors into the lodge for meds and check-out. Get your child and their luggage from their counselor. Remain socially distant! Return to your car and depart.
- We will not be serving dinner on pick up day. Campers will have had an afternoon snack, so we are sure they will be ready for dinner (and rest) when they leave camp.
What to Pack:
Camp is fun and may include getting wet or dirty. Please pack the following:
- Clothes for 2 days. Long pants recommended for campfire. Two pair of Tennis shoes. (No sandals allowed except in showerhouse! No ripped out shirts or clothes that show underclothes.)
- Lightweight jacket or sweatshirt.
- Swimsuit (Should be one-piece or appropriately fitted/coverage!) and swim towel
- Bedding – sheet, sleeping bag/blanket, pillow
- Toiletries – soap, shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, contact solution, washcloth and towel
- Cinch bag for sunblock and water bottle
- Cabin snack – All snacks should be in a container or baggie that can be closed tightly.
Medication and Illness:
- ALL medication must be turned in to the nurse. Medication must be in original container with label. Put the container in a ziplock bag. Write the child’s name on the bag.
- If a camper will be bringing an EPI-PEN, they should alert the nurse at check-in. Camper should bring a cinch bag or pack to carry the EPI-PEN with them at all times. The camp will not have any EPI-PENS on hand this year.
- Staff, campers, counselors with a fever of 100.4 or higher or any other COVID symptoms may not attend camp.
- Any staff or campers who have been in close contact with someone who has currently tested positive for COVID or is suspected of having COVID may not attend camp unless they have been vaccinated.
- During camp regular illnesses will be handled like normal
- If someone at camp is suspected of having COVID, they will be isolated and a parent/guardian will be contacted to pick them up immediately ☹
- Masks are not required at camp. Participates will be practicing social distancing and hand washing.
- No Large Group Photo will be taken this year; however, we will take cabin group photos and will post them following camp.
- NO ELECTRONICS may be brought to camp. Campers found with cell phones, iPods or similar items will be sent home.
- No money needed. This year a craft and snacks are included in the camp fee.
- Campers will stay in their cabin or tribe groups at all times. Everyone will rotate together and enjoy all of the fun that camp offers!